To all of our referring veterinarians, clients, and to the public,
In an ever-increasing world where letters from CEO’s are distributed to discuss their response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we add ours at Pet Specialists of Monterey (PSM) to brief anyone who may be in need of 24-hour emergency and specialist care for their pets. We are fully stocked and staffed with everything required to maintain a safe environment. We have developed a multifaceted plan that will allow us to remain open to serve you and your pets as long as we will be permitted to.
We are working to exceed the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), and Monterey County Public Health Department. We are monitoring staff and their household’s wellness and not allowing anyone with clinical signs of COVID-19, influenza, or the common cold to come to work. So far, no staff have been diagnosed with COVID-19. We are limiting contact between humans, so please do not be offended when we offer alcohol hand sanitizer in lieu of our usual hand shake or hug.
A number of general veterinary practices in the community will be closed for the duration. With these closures, we may encounter longer wait times. We will be instituting a call-in system upon arrival to decrease the number of clients in our waiting room and clients may be required to wait in their vehicles. We can be reached at 831-899-PETS (7387). Please note that as always, our emergency service works on a triage basis meaning pets may not be seen in the order of arrival. Please be patient and understanding, your pet is important to us.
Before you arrive at PSM, please call to brief us on your pets’ issue and possible arrival time. We will begin the triage process at that time, and may recommend you delay your visit, should our ER service be overwhelmed. Once you arrive, your pet will be assessed, and you will receive paperwork to fill out.
Here is a list of things you can do to help our staff remain healthy and able to serve our role in the community.
- Please do not bring your pet in if you are sick or encountered anyone infected with COVID -19. Please call us at 831-899-PETS (7387) and we can discuss ways that alternate family members bring your pet as your representative.
- Please do not bring items from home including bedding, favorite chew toys, etc. They will be discarded. We will likely remove your pets’ collar and leash after being fitted with identification while in hospital, and return these items to you.
- Please do not bring additional family members with you to PSM, unless absolutely necessary. We are limiting the number of clients we have in our hospital to help reduce person to person contact.
- Hospital visits will be limited; however, special consideration will be given for end of life decisions
- Please skip all non-urgent visits. If you are currently under the care of any of the specialists at PSM, please call their nursing staff to help determine which visits can be eliminated in the short term. If you are not under the care of our team but have questions about which pet illness need to be seen urgently and which can be delayed, please call 831-899-PETS (7837).
- Please use alcohol hand sanitizer and wash your hands prior to arrival and use the provided sanitizers while in hospital.
Thank you for helping us help your pets during this crisis. We are grateful for your consideration and look forward to serving your ongoing needs. Please help us protect our staff, our families and our community by understanding our role in mitigating the spread of this virus. It will take a community effort. We hope you do not need us, but if you do, you’ll be glad we are here.
Gregory S. Marsolais, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVS
Owner, Pet Specialists of Monterey