Salt Toxicity

Did you know homemade playdough is toxic to dogs and cats? Why, you may ask?

The answer is salt! Most homemade play dough recipes call for 1/3 to 1/2 cup of salt. The lethal dose of salt for dogs and cats is 4g of salt per 2 lbs. A 1/3 of a cup salt is equivalent to 113g. So, this means a recipe that calls for 1/3 cup of salt is the lethal dose for a 50lb dog.

What happens internally when too much salt is consumed?

Well, the salt intake leads to severe inflammation of the stomach, electrolyte imbalances, severe dehydration and sometimes even death. The severe stomach inflammation causes vomiting and diarrhea. The electrolyte imbalance can cause tremors and seizures. The severe dehydration causes brain cells to shrink and, rupture blood vessels and lead to hemorrhage.

Signs of Salt Toxicity

Some of the common signs of a salt toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive water intake, producing large amounts of urine. The treatment of a salt toxicity is to administer fluids intravenous and by mouth slowly over several days and monitor sodium levels very closely. Making homemade playdough can be fun for kids but NOT for your pets.